How To Protect Your Seasonal Home Or Business While You Are Gone
May 30th, 2019
Criminals nowadays are very smart. They know the best time to break into a home or business is when no one is there. They also know that many people own seasonal homes and business in Waverly. So they will plan a break-in for months and lie in wait until the residents are gone and far out of town. However, there are some things you can do to beat even the smartest criminal and protect your seasonal home or business. Here’s how to get started.
Protecting Against More Than Just Crime
Crime is not the only risk seasonal properties face. We all know how wild the weather can get in Waverly. You’ll also need to consider a system for protected against weather related risks like flooding and wind damage. Furthermore, homes and business can also catch on fire or have carbon monoxide leaks while the owners are away. So you’ll need to consider these threats as well when you are gone.
Identify The Risks On Your Waverly Property
Once you’ve addressed all your considerations, the first thing you want to do is review your property and identify the risks. Start by doing a walk through your property, thinking like a criminal. Imagine what you would do if you were to break into your property. Those are your areas of vulnerability. Also look over areas where your electrical and HVAC systems can go wrong while you are away. Then do a walkthrough outside, look at both points of entry for criminals and things like trees that can cause damage during storms. Once you’ve collected all your points of interest, you will need to contact a security professional.
Security Plans For Every Seasonal Home
Each seasonal property is unique and working with a security professional can help you tailor your security plan to your unique building. However, there are security features that every seasonal property owner should consider:
- Remote Monitoring: All seasonal properties should be equipped with remote monitoring. Remote monitoring allows you to view your Waverly home from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection.
- Surveillance Cameras: Surveillance cameras can help deter and record crime, they let you see what’s going on in your home or business. For example, if a pipe bursts while you are away, you will see the flooding before it causes damage.
- Alarm Systems: Alarm systems will alert you and local authorities when there is a major incident on your property. Alarm systems can help get first responders to your property before things really escalate.
- Smart Thermostat: A smart thermostat can control your property’s temperate from anywhere. You can set it up to run automatically and keep your home a certain temperature or you can control it via smartphone and determine temperatures throughout your day.
- Smart Locks: Smart locks can be locked and unlocked from anywhere. That way if you need to let someone in for maintenance, you won’t have to travel down to your property. They are also far more secure than traditional locks and help prevent intrusion.
These are just some of the great security features that can help protect your seasonal business. There are many more to consider that can meet your unique needs. Talk to a security specialist to learn more.