Security Cameras Versus Surveillance Cameras: There Is A Difference
January 31st, 2020
According to the FBI crime statistics, last year there were an estimated 7,196,045 property crimes. Most break ins occur between 10 AM and 3 PM when most people are at work and account for 70% of all crimes. The numbers are staggering. Crime is everywhere from Waverly to even surrounding small farming communities. With today’s technology, you do have the ability to ensure your Waverly home and loved ones are safe. One of the best ways to do so is with a camera. While most people use the words security camera and surveillance camera interchangeably they are two different cameras for different requirements.
What Are Security Cameras?
Security cameras are also known as closed-circuit television (CCTV) is a self contained surveillance system that conveys video recordings from the camera to a digital video recorder (DVR) through a coaxial cable. Since they tend to use radio frequencies, they are cost effective. So let's look at some of the benefits of a security camera:
- Crime Prevention- Intruders will avoid homes with cameras
- Observation- wherever there is a power source you can place a camera, mountable or hidden to monitor people visiting your home.
- Lower Insurance- Most insurance companies will give you a discount if you have a security camera.
- Monitoring- you can stay in your home and monitor your entire property including the blind spots.
- Cameras limited to twelve
What Are Surveillance Cameras?
A surveillance camera, also known as an automatic number plate recognition system is a video camera that monitors the area where you install them. Surveillance cameras work in conjunction with security systems. They can be installed throughout your home and are often used in offices and stores as well. They work on Internet Protocol (IP) networks that link from the area to the security location. They are very popular due to their benefits. Some pros of surveillance cameras include:
- Monitoring from anywhere as long as you have a smartphone.
- Helping police with high definition video
- Checking on family and pets- you can check to make sure the children came home on time, check on the pets, etc.
- Integrates with a smart home system- you can add video doorbell, thermostat timers, and virtual assistants like Alexa.
- Also provides lower insurance rates.
- Unlimited cameras
Which Camera System Is The Best For You
Whether you are choosing to use a hidden camera to identify illegal activity or you just want your loved ones to be safe, a security company can help you with the right option. No matter what your needs are, working with a quality security company, you will get the quality you want at the value you need. Security experts can help you choose between the available styles and types of cameras depending on your surveillance needs.
With property crime occurring every 3.7 seconds it is important to know that with a security system you are 33% less likely to have your home broken into. If you are considering a security system call the professionals at Iowa Surveillance. Locally owned and operated in Waverly we are focused on keeping our community safe. Call us today for an online demonstration.